Trying out different sex positions is the only way to find out what works you both...
Everyone's bodies are different and not everyone enjoys having the same kinds of sex - so the 'best' position is the one that you both find together
Everybody has their personal favourite position, from the most simple to the most acrobatic. However, the truth is that there are no magic positions that work every time, and achieving orgasm can be reached by trying something new. Everyone's bodies are different and not everyone enjoys having the same kinds of sex - so the 'best' position is the one that you both find together, but the journey can be just as fun as the destination. In doing this you can also find out more about what each other wants, and this can open up new and exciting areas for discovery. Here are some of the basics.
Face to face
Positions where one lies on top of the other with their faces up close against each other. The person on top could have their legs between the legs of the person on the bottom, or they can interlock their legs and rub their bodies together for different variations – perhaps using hands too.
The benefits of this position are:
- Since eye contact is important to great sex, missionary gives the best kind of angle to get close and share smiles, looks and gasps.
- In this position you can read facial expressions too, and find out what works for your partner through their reactions. The best communication is sometimes physical.
- Depending on what the other wants, you can take things slow, or increase the tempo for more intense sex.
A fun idea for the penetrating partner, is to hold themselves up slightly to change the angle and depth of entry. Underneath, legs can be wrapped around your partner, or raised in the air to allow for deeper penetration.
Have one partner sit on top of the other with their legs straddling each side of the lower’s body. This allows for a position where the person on top can guide the other, and support themselves to aid balance and the ability to use your hands on each other.
The benefits here are:
- The person on top has control over how fast and how deep penetration will be.
- Having full control over the motion might make sex easier. And for those laying down, they get the opportunity to admire and appreciate the other’s body.
- Being on top means you can get the right angle and position that works for you. Many people find they get better stimulation of the clitoris in this position.
- If you want to admire each other’s bodies, then there’s no better pose. You might feel a higher emotional connection too as you gaze into each other’s eyes.
- You can stroke each other's chests and bodies easily, as arms aren’t needed for propping anyone up.
- It encourages you to really play with your partner. Feeling your partner’s clit or penis takes things to the next level for both of you.
Entering your partner from behind allows for deep penetration and different vantage to appreciate your partner’s body from. It can be intense and lead to almost explosive orgasms. The position starts with both facing the same way, one entering the other from behind. Although intense, for many the best thing about this pose is it allows them to concentrate on their own experience and to get wrapped up in their own pleasure. This position is sometimes referred to as ‘doggy style’.
The benefits of this position are:
- It can allow for much deeper entry which could help for reaching orgasm.
- It's easier to move so intercourse can be much faster, and more intense.
- The angle of entry can be much more comfortable for some people.
- It can bring energy and excitement to the bedroom.
- The variations of this position also allow for easy changes to other angles and positions.